So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. I Cor. 10:31

Monday, April 18, 2011

Campamento La Cumbre, Football Americana, Soccer and a Fish Fry

Wow it has been a long time since I have posted anything. Even here in Costa Rica it is easy to become too busy and get trapped in the routine of daily life. Forty hours a week in the office, along with weekly Bible studies, mentor times, and the occasional american football game or practice keep, along with spending "Quality" family time ever fail to make me tired and make the time pass quickly.

The last few weeks have been pretty exciting. I have experienced my first professional Futbol Americana game in Costa Rica, gone to camp with around 40 Ticos, spent a Sunday afternoon eating and playing soccer with 3 families from the church, and eaten my first mangos of the season!!!

My mentor Josh is the offensive coordinator for one of the American Football teams here in Costa Rica. It was definitely an experience going to see my first game here in Costa Rica and attending practice one evening with Josh. I have really been wishing that I could have played football!! Thanks MOM! Going to practice was very interesting, this past week Josh and I heard the story of one of his players who was convicted in the state of shooting a police officer. This individual has since "found God" but it is very obvious that there was a great opportunity to be a witness, though it is challenging for Josh to coach as the commitment of his players is greatly lacking. 

Two weekends ago, I had the awesome opportunity to travel with my Tico dad to a church camp in the mountains here in Costa Rica. It was really cold!!! Down in the 50's!! Thats cold in Costa Rica! My favorite moment of the week was leaving chapel wondering where my dad had disappeared to, only to find him wrapped up on his bunk rolling back in forth saying "I am very cold, I am very cold!" It was a great weekend for the two of us. I didn't understand much during the chapel services, but I was able to make relationships with a few of the campers. The mountains were beautiful and I was able to participate in a couple of events that I have never before experienced ( jumping off a 30' high platform to a trapeze, jumping out of a tree on a giant swing, rappelling down a rock, and being pulled up in the air by my team of Costa Ricans hoping they wouldn't drop me back to the ground!) Sorry I don't have any good pictures to prove I actually did this stuff. It was great to have some time alone as well in the beautiful mountains with my Bible and a John Piper book to keep me company! God is challenging me everyday to fully trust Him with the plans that He has for my life!






Yesterday afternoon as we were leaving church my dad asked if i had plans for the afternoon. Of course I told him no because it was my day to be a part of the family secretly hoping we were going home so that I could take a much needed nap. I had been out til 11 PM (really late in Costa Rica) helping one of the staff members with a few jobs around the house. Instead, my dad decided that we would go eat lunch with one of the families from the church. We were treated to a delicious dinner of pan fried chicken breasts, rice, beans, salad, and vegetables. I had my first helping of chicken and was asked if I would like more. Since I hadn't eaten a lot of meat this past week at home, I asked for more. Our host prepared more chicken for myself and 
the other men and I was given another piece that had been put on the table after she left to fix more. Long story short i ended up having to eat like 3 chicken breast along with the side fixins and rice pudding for desert. A half hour later I was involved in a heated soccer match with 3 other grown men and several of the neighborhood children. It was a great match and I believe my team won even though I lost count of the score.

As if the last couple of weeks couldn't get much better. I just had a taste of home at dinner. Not sure exactly but it looked and tasted like a fresh fried whiting on my dinner plate along with some fresh fried plantain chips!! The only thing that would have been better would be some grits and sweet potato fries!! I hope thats not a first and last time we have a fish fry during my time here.


No comments:

Post a Comment